How to unbrick LG P500 Android after failed software update

UPDATE Aug 30, 2012. Consider updating your Optimus One with CyanogenMod — CM7 or CM9. LG Optimus One, P500, V in xda-developers. Original CM ROMs for Optimus One.

I was trying to update my Android Phone LG P500 Optimus One, because it is possible that updating to version 2.2.1 will solve ‘SD card unexpectedly removed’ problem (see issue 9736).

On a side note: LG is a very large and old company. It is founded in 1958 and now employs more then 82 000 workers. They make great hardware at very great price, however they suck at writing software. They PC Suite is horrible. It require USB driver emulated via numerous COM ports. It hangs. It does not work after update, etc., etc. See screenshots below.

Last time I wrote that backup / sync does not work when phone goes into sleep mode. This time I have changed sleep time to 30 minutes, but I suspect, that update took longer time, and my phone gone into sleep right at the middle of the update process.

The result can be seen in the screenshots below. I bricked my phone. It gone into endless reboot loop, displaying only LG logo.

At that point I tried to connect phone with LG PC Suite, unsuccessfully I must note. The plan was bring phone to the service for repair.

Often I have great ideas while sleeping, and this time I imagined repair shop repairing my Android brick. There must be some way to do a Factory Reset for bricked phone. Next morning I did a Goolge search and found, that it is possible to do a Factory Reset in 2 ways:
- Main screen, Options, Settings, Privacy, Factory data reset, Reset phone;
- Remove battery, reinsert battery, hold down Home and Volume Down and then press Power button. It should ask for Factory reset.

In my case Factory reset didn’t appear. It only kept rebooting.

Then I thought, how the repair stuff will handle this. There must be a software, that can write ROMs for bricked phones. Again, I did a Goolge search and, found forum post in http://androidforums.com which led to [ROMS] Original LG Firmware list in forum http://forum.xda-developers.com

It turns out, that there is a software called KDZ updater that can do exactly what I wanted – it can update ROM in bricked phone.

I copied steps required to repair from http://androidforums.com/optimus-one-support-troubleshooting/237642-bricked-lg-optimus-one-help.html in case it goes away.

You need to download the firmware of your device. Please check here the The_ERROR thread wich explains it very well:
[ROMS] Original LG Firmware list – xda-developers
Download KDZ updater and uncompress it
KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.zip – 4shared.com – online file sharing and storage – download
Install msxml.msi from the uncompressed directory
Conect your device (do not turn on disk storage) and run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe (Has administrator).
Select Type : 3GQCT
Select PhoneMode : DIAG
In KDZ file : Choose the ROM file you downloaded in the first step
Press Launch software update and wait (It will be 10 minutes or so). In your phone it will appear “Emergency mode”. Wait until it reboots.

and

I had to down load the drivers from the official lg site. when here you enter the code that is on the box the phone came in or under the battery.
Chose the your county and laguage from the drop down box at the top right of the dialogue box. Then from the middle you can choose the drivers. For some reason I had to find the files and click on them to install the driver.

Ok once you decompress kdz updater there are three seperate files to work with. 1. windows enabler. 2. msxml.msi 3.KDZ_FW_UPD.exe

You will also need to download the right file to restore with. For me being in Australia with 2.2 I needed V10a-00.kdz. You can find it with google.

Double click windows enabler and you will find an icon in the system tray at the bottom. Left click once and it will say on. Click and install msxml now.

Now you have to boot the phone into rescue mode. On Lg Optimus One turn phone off even if it means taking out the battery.
Press power – volume up – back (this button is next to the home button).

Connect to usb now. the lap top found new hardware and installed four drivers.

Then open device manager. Left click my computer – properties – device manager. You need to disable the lg modem driver. Left click on it and disable.

Now launch kdz updater. There will be a drop box on left set to 3gspt or similiar. on the right drop box set to diag. The long box just above the info box with a file at the side lets you browse to find restore file. e.g. V10a.00.kdz.

Double click the button below and let it do it’s thing. My xp laptop is old and slow. Took 15min. My phone shut down and came up with an error at the last minute. Anyway I rebooted and all was good.

Everything was the way I left it. Just had to re-root.

The only difference, I didn’t need a Windows Enabler. All went nice without it. Also, to get into emergency mode I first did press and hold for Volume Down and Back button, and only after then pressed Power button.

After I restored the phone, I launched LG PC Suite again, to see if I installed latest ROM, and it turned out, that it was not the latest one. So I clicked update again, this time I set up display timeout to 30 minutes and touched phone every few minutes, to prevent phone form sleeping. As you see in the screenshots, it updated successfully this time.

The last surprise from LG was sync. Before updating my Android phone, LG PC Suite asks to backup data – phonebook and calendar. It backed both successfully. After updating it asks to restore data form backup. I tried numerous times, and every time it failed with error message or crash. Shame on LG for writing so buggy software.

Of course I had another backup for my contacts and calendar. I did never trust a software that emulates com port over USB for modern Android phone. I suggest you not to trust them either. See Screenshot 6. It says:

As the usual end users expect only one time installation, they can suspect installation might go wrong.

Links to relevant forum topics:

Here are screenshots from all process with some descriptions.

This entry was posted in Mobile and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to How to unbrick LG P500 Android after failed software update

1. Charles Bryan says:

Wow ! This is the most detailed description of the update process.
    Thanks man.

2. jing yi says:

after reset, my sd card data (music & photo) can’t show at phone but only at OI file manager-sd card. How can i move the file to phone??

3. logo_32 says:

My Optimus got bricked while using ROM Manager..!! Same symptoms..!!
    Hope this works to bring my optimus back to life..!! Downloading the stock firmware file now..!!
    Fingers crossed..!!

4. logo_32 says:

WHOA… spectacular…!!
    My optimus is finally ONLINE again… :D

KUDOS for such an awesome post man.. Many thanks to you..!!

5. Adrian says:

Hi guys. Can you share the firmware that you used? I can’t find working links. I found a link for the “new” V10Q_00.kdz but keep getting this error:

09:34:34 : Launching SW update
    09:34:34 : Unpacking KDZ
    09:34:35 : KDZ file extraced
    09:34:35 : Extract file error
    09:34:37 : ===FINISHED===

HELP!!!

6. admin says:

Adrian, just follow instructions form the following URL:

7. Sid says:

phone nt detected on win 7 32 bit wat to do ??

8. Paresh1212 says:

For all people looking out for Stock Rom of LG P500(optimus One) in India.

V10E :- Lastest Stock version of LG Optimus one in India(Try replacing V10e with V10c,V10d etc)
    AINDBK :- Code for India

Reference :- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=865479

9. Victor Garcia says:

Thank you very much for this post!! you don’t know how much i do appreciate your help, you save my phone!!! Thanks again!!!

10. Marius says:

Many many many thanks, man. It’s the first time i unbrick the phone myself. Thank you for posting all the details

11. br says:

Hi,
    Thanks for your post, but I am not able to start the SW update, as mu phone goes into the “Emergency Mode” as soon as I connect via USB to the PC. The only why to turn it off later on, is to remove the battery.
    While the phone is in the “Emergency Mode”, the KDZ reports: “PHONE WAS NOT FOUND!”, so application stops.

Please tell me what to do?

[R&D Test Tools Log File]

18:07:05 : Launching SW update
    18:07:05 : Unpacking KDZ
    18:07:06 : KDZ file extraced
    18:07:06 : Files were extracted.
    18:07:06 : LGMobileDL Load.
    18:07:06 : Port = -1
    18:07:06 : Connecting to phone
    18:07:06 : PHONE WAS NOT FOUND!
    18:07:08 : ===FINISHED===

12. br says:

Ignore my above question please, I have used the PhoneMode=’Emergency’ now.

13. DavidR says:

Thanks a million! My phone was bricked after an (official) firmware update. You just saved me waiting a few weeks for a repair centre to fix it. Cheers!

14. Maxz says:

Hey thanks for this post man, my Optimus One disconnected while updating at 5% :S,
    first time it happened my phone just worked, second time my phone didn`t boot, only shows LG logo… I hink this would help me :)

15. Ashok Kumar says:

Thanks a million.
    I bought the phone and tried to update it on the very day! and man I bricked it. If not for your help I would have literally cried. Getting the KDZ to detect the phone was the only tricky part. The trick was to disable the COM port and restart the PC and try again.
    Thanks again.

16. Rythm says:

[R&D Test Tools Log File]

17:58:42 : Launching SW update
    17:58:42 : Unpacking KDZ
    17:58:43 : KDZ file extraced
    17:58:44 : Files were extracted.
    17:58:44 : LGMobileDL Load.
    17:58:44 : Port = -1
    17:58:44 : Connecting to phone
    17:58:49 : PHONE WAS NOT FOUND!
    17:58:51 : ===FINISHED===

Im even using the Emergency Phonemode but it dosen’t work…phone is not connecting to the pc too…I’ve reinstalled the drivera

17. Gurvir says:

a million thanks to you man and to paresh1212
    helped me a lot ……!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Kemari says:

Okay, have the same issue…phone is stuck in Emergency Mode.

I have an Optimus T (LG-P509) and I tried to update it using the LG updater tool on their website. It went mostly through and then told me it lost communication with my phone. It instructed me to unplug the usb, take out the battery, put it back in and then plug it back into my pc and press restart. Needless to say, the update never went through.

Afterwards my phone was in Emergency mode. I tried to do a factory reset but it never worked. T-mobile support couldn’t help either. Now it’s been stuck in Emergency mode and I can’t figure anything out.

I know this says the LG p500, but does that driver work for my phone as well? Can you help me figure this out? Because I don’t have a warranty on my phone through t-mobile. I’ll have to end up sending it to LG as a last resort if nothing else works.

Please and thank you.

19. Maris says:

Kemari,

According to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1099173 you can use the same KDZ.

The right place to ask for help is: Optimus One, P500, V General in xda-developers.com

20. DANIEL says:

you are the man!!! I owe you a 6 pack

21. Shiva says:

When I updating to V20b_00 version, It went to emergency mode then same error “Connection to the mobile is lost please restart”. After switching Off. Mobile is not switching ON. I try to Hard Reset, that also not working..
    Please help to resolve this issue

22. Luis says:

I have the same error message from above:
    17:58:42 : Launching SW update
    17:58:42 : Unpacking KDZ
    17:58:43 : KDZ file extraced
    17:58:44 : Files were extracted.
    17:58:44 : LGMobileDL Load.
    17:58:44 : Port = -1
    17:58:44 : Connecting to phone
    17:58:49 : PHONE WAS NOT FOUND!
    17:58:51 : ===FINISHED===

The USB suddenly stop function, so I can not install update. Worst of all, my LG P500h can not get on….only shows a initial LG message and doesn’t works…any more?… :-(

There is any way to put ROM inside LG mobile not using USB port?

Thank you in advance.

23. AlwaysBeta says:

worked for me after trying 7-8 times. :-) thanks alot man!!

24. m1k3ly says:

Verry good description… you save my phone …. thank you

25. Anshul says:

Please Help!!!!!!!!!! My phone is not even going into ifnite loop or emergency mode. In short it is not even turning on. I have found that my battery is also full please help!!!!!!!

26. Corrie Stafford says:

I’m currently confident that i should certainly root my device. With thanks for the wonderful tips

27. nixnet says:

thanks a lot for the guidance in those dark and grim times!
    my phone displayed only the LG logo after it shut down during update, the only thing to unbrick it was to unplug usb cable, remove battery, put it back and press and hold VOLUME UP + BACK + POWER, and when emergency yellow screen shows plug in usb cable again, hit RETRY button on the update application. strangely, it didn’t boot up, so i had to press and hold BACK when android logo starts to show. Now it boots up fine, all pristine unmodded LG software onboard :)
    cheers!

28. pavan says:

Hii this post is awesome again my optimus one is up now
    thanks.

29. Valdimar says:

Thanks for putting this information up in this blog! It really helped me out when I got into hot water with the official LG update program; it froze the computer and bricked my phone. Through this site I was able to find the right tools and tricks to get it back in shape :)

30. Torsten says:

Thanks for this useful information! I tried to update the FW of my Optimus One too … it was failed several times and the phone freezes. Before I wanted to try your workaround I removed the battery and let the phone off for one hour. When I put in the battery again and switched it on, the firmware was up to date, even Android is at Version 2.3.3 now. A miracle!

31. Russ Stebner says:

Thanks a lot for the information.

32. bittu says:

thanx…a lot…ufff….this post have open my eyes…bcoz i m ready for update my phone lg p500 firmware…..but when i m here…so my mood change….thanx again for detailed….

33. rejith says:

I have the same error message from above:
    17:58:42 : Launching SW update
    17:58:42 : Unpacking KDZ
    17:58:43 : KDZ file extraced
    17:58:44 : Files were extracted.
    17:58:44 : LGMobileDL Load.
    17:58:44 : Port = -1
    17:58:44 : Connecting to phone
    17:58:49 : PHONE WAS NOT FOUND!
    17:58:51 : ===FINISHED===
    my phone display also not working usb not decting pls help

34. prashant says:

a million thanks to you man and to
    helped me a lot ……!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. isa pierre says:

trying to install V10I_00 for my lgp698 which keeps restarting after the lg logo but it is rebooting i live in the Caribbean and i am not sure if I am using the right kdz but i believe so can anyone offer any advice suggestions. below i posted the end of my update log.
    21:49:35 : Smart : wParam = 12, lParam = 0
    21:49:37 : Step Complete : UPDATE FINISHED!
    21:49:37 : ResetStartInfo() Call